2007-12-16

Vista BSOD: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (BugCheck ea) - Take Two

After the previous BSOD in Vista, I logged in to Vista interactively as an administrator (I usually run as a standard user), and I was greeted with a dialog informing me about a "serious error" or the like. I chose to check for updates to the problem. What came back was more than I expected, but not really all that helpful for my particular situation.

Problem caused by ATI Graphics Driver

This problem was caused by ATI Graphics Driver.

This program was created by ATI Technologies, Inc.. ATI Technologies, Inc. does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported.

Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the problem from recurring.

Download and install an updated version of ATI Graphics Driver from one of the following locations:
Microsoft Update
ATI Technologies, Inc.

If an updated driver is not available for ATI Graphics Driver, check with your computer manufacturer.

If you are running the latest version of ATI Graphics Driver, contact ATI Technologies, Inc. for your support options.

Additional information

If this problem continues to occur after installing the latest product updates, we recommend you get assistance and troubleshooting information directly from ATI Technologies, Inc..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am running the latest driver, and ATI has discontinued the Radeon 9600 Pro. Not a big deal, as the problem has only happened twice. Of course, I would rather that it not happen at all...

»

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

help!! i'm having the same issue, only now the frozen screens are occuring three or four times daily. i've searched all around, and have no idea what to do. How did you end up resolving your problem?

«/\/\Ø|ö±ò\/»®© said...

Hi anonymous,

Fortunately for me, the problem happens quite infrequently. So I don't feel the need to resolve the problem. Probably, the only to do so would be to change the drivers, or change the video hardware involved. With the former, one is generally at the whim of the hardware manufacturer, and with the latter one's options may be limited / restricted based on the system in question (laptop, etc.).

You mentioned "frozen screens" - what specifically happens? What are you doing when it happens? What type of a system does this happen on? What hardware is involved? What is the exact text of any error messages or other diagnostic information you are presented with?

Anonymous said...

Hello! Thanks for responding. I am quite not-computer-savvy, unfortunately, so I don't know what additional information will help, but here is the gist of it:

I have a dell inspiron 1501 that is running Vista Basic with an AMD athlon processor. I've tried contacting Dell numerous times about this problem, and they've never given me a clear answer. To top it off, I only have about 5 months left on the warranty.

The "frozen screens" can happen at any point and time. Recently, it has been happening more frequently, ie, three or four times a day. I'll just be going about my usual things (i don't run any out of the ordinary programs, just basics) and the screen will freeze. It will either go completely black, blue, stripey colors, or black with a small colored square somewhere on the screen. After I just power off, and turn it back on. It asks if I want to run it safe mode or normal, and I just pick normal mode.

Every three or so time this happens, when I am logged back into windows, it will say "system has recovered from unexpected shutdown, do you want to find a solution?" When i click ok, and after some thinking by the computer, it will pop up with the ATI Graphics driver as the issue (with the same info as the original post above). I've tried and tried searching for this driver, but it's no where to be found, as apparently it is not available.

Hopefully that is enough info! I'm truly at a loss as to what to do here :(

«/\/\Ø|ö±ò\/»®© said...

>> they've never given me a clear answer. To top it off, I only have about 5 months left on the warranty. <<
I suppose the best you can do until you get the problem resolved is to call back each time the problem happens. I would expect they'd be hard pressed to then deny that there was a problem before the warranty expired...

Are there any files in C:\Windows\Minidump? If so, do the timestamps on the files correspond to dates / times you've had the problems? Also, if there are files there, I could take a look at them to try to get more information about the problem. If you want, you can email some of them to me (my address is in my Blogger Profile) - perhaps the most recent 5 or so, if there are that many.

Looks like you have the "ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 1150" video adapter in your 1501. Have you seen these drivers?
ATI IGP Xpress 1150

This driver comes from ATI, not Dell; it comes in a "driver only" package, or with the Catalyst Control Center. It may be worth a shot, if Dell can't help, and the driver from Dell doesn't do the trick.

ATI even has a link to previous versions of their drivers, so if necessary one can experiment with older versions in case a new version introduced a problem or behaves differently (and / or less desirably).

Hope this helps somewhat!

--molotov

Anonymous said...

hello! I have been having the exact same problem as the other anonymous, and I just tried to follow your suggestions, but all of the drivers listed are not compatible with Vista. Is there anything else that you can think of? You have gotten me the closest to understanding what is wrong with my computer, so thank you very much for that!

«/\/\Ø|ö±ò\/»®© said...

Hi "new" Anonymous ;-),

What video hardware are you dealing with?

Does the problem happen in safe mode, or with a "standard" video driver?

As discussed above, any files in C:\Windows\minidump?

Anonymous said...

Hello from me too!

The same problem. I've changed 2 video cards - SAPPHIRE RADEON 3850, and SAPPHIRE RADEON 3870, and they act equally - at different periods of time they crashed with BSOD, and sometimes Vista succeded with dumping memory on harddrive and reset the computer.
I have read all about, but never find a solution. Now I'm wuite sure, that the video hardware is not responsible.
I will send minidump, if it is useful. My mail is: bigstoyan@gmail.com


THANKS!

«/\/\Ø|ö±ò\/»®© said...

Hi Anonymous,

I've just sent you an email.