[Added 2006-10-15: Another potential fix here...]
[Added 2006-09-19: Additional things to try here...]
[See other posts about 0x8ddd0009 here and here.]
It seems that a LOT of people are getting error 0x8ddd0009 with Microsoft Update or Windows Update, and are looking for fixes to the problem.
Previously, I had noted that I had gotten around the problem by correcting the system time on the affected computer. But apparently that's not the only "fix" for the problem. Given that it doesn't do the trick for everyone, here is a compilation of suggestions that I have run across. Note that I haven't tried all of them and I can't vouch for their accuracy. Some suggestions involve the use of a 3rd party program or utility. Use them at your own risk.
If you have gotten the 0x8ddd0009 error from Microsoft Update or Windows Update and something listed here fixes it, please chime in. Also, if you did something not listed here and it took care of the problem, please share your resolution with others.
I can't find any reference to 8ddd0009 OR 0x8ddd0009 in the Microsoft knowledge base, so we're pretty much going off of community references here.
While most of the people reporting 0x8ddd0009 seem to be running Windows 2000 with some recent service pack (3 or 4), some are running Windows XP SP2.
To restate, I fixed my problem by ensuring that the system time on the affected computer was accurate - it had been about 22 minutes off. Once I corrected the time, the problem went away.
Another thing to do is to make sure that the computer that is having problems has sufficient free space available on the disk. I'll grab 1 GB out of the air and toss it in here - make sure there's 1 GB of free space on the disk. Just to be safe...
Several people report that uninstalling Windows Installer 3.1 resolved the 0x8ddd0009 error. To uninstall Windows Installer 3.1, use the "Add or Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel, and find "Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)" in the list, and click the "Remove" button. Alternatively, running "%WINDIR%\$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$\spuninst\spuninst.exe" from Start --> Run may do the trick.
Running regsvr32 /u "%systemroot%\system32\mobsync.dll" has apparently worked for at least one individual; Microsoft Knowledge Base article "Event ID 4100 appears repeatedly in Event Viewer details this approach (not in the context of the 0x8ddd0009 error, though), and also the implications:
After you unregister Mobsync.dll, Client Side Caching (CSC) no longer works. The behavior described in the "Symptoms" section of this article does not affect CSC functionality, but unregistering Mobsync.dll doesIf that doesn't do the trick, one should be able to UNDO the unregistration (???) of Mobsync.dll by running regsvr32 "%systemroot%\system32\mobsync.dll". Might be worth a shot...
Other people report that downloading / installing / running a program called "Dial-A-Fix" (apparently free) and using it to fix "Windows Update" (whatever that program considers "Windows Update") fixes the problem. The program can likely be found here. And here are extensive instructions for using the program to fix the problem.
Re-running the "Connection Setup Wizard" (presumably, in IE's Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections tab --> "Setup..." button; it can also be run by tossing "rundll32.exe netshell.dll,StartNCW" in the Start --> Run box) is reported to have resolved the 0x8ddd0009 error for several people.
Another thing that has worked in certain cases is running regsvr32 msxml3.dll from the Start --> Run box or a Command Prompt.
Something else to try is to run the following commands from a Command Prompt (Start --> Run --> Cmd):
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
Disabling any firewalls might be another thing to try.
Some have indicated that following the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base article Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both took care of the 0x8ddd0009 error for them.
Stopping the "Automatic Updates" service (from the Services management console snap-in - Start --> Run --> Services.msc, or by running net stop wuauserv), and deleting (renaming is less destructive, I suppose) the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder can also resolve various issues with Microsoft Update / Windows Update.
On a more drastic note, uninstalling Windows XP Service Pack 2 and then reinstalling it took care of the 0x8ddd0009 error for at least one person.
Again, if you have gotten the 0x8ddd0009 error from Microsoft Update or Windows Update and something listed here fixes it, please chime in. Also, if you did something not listed here and it took care of the problem, please share your resolution here so that others may benefit.