2007-05-21

Reading List

Initially, I was going to start off by saying that I've been reading more books and less content online, but that wouldn't be accurate. I've actually picked up more online reading, but I'm also more frequently finding myself with a good book in hand before bed. Currently, I'm finding my way through Eldad Eilam's Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering. It's a good read so far and I hope to learn a lot.

I've ALWAYS got Russinovich & Solomon's Windows Internals open, and I've been through it cover to cover a few times as well. There's just so much good stuff there, and I've got a memory like a goldfish... =8->

Recently, I also read Hoglund and Butler's Rootkits: Subverting the Windows Kernel for the second time. The chapter on DKOM is probably my favorite.

I just finished Raymond Chen's The Old New Thing: Practical Development Throughout the Evolution of Windows. The anecdotes range from light to heavy, and the lessons to be learned are well presented. I like Raymond's writing style and it is good to hear his perspectives on why things are the way they are. For whatever reason I hadn't picked up Raymond's blog on MSDN, "The Old New Thing", though I was well aware of it. Probably had something to do with the volume; two posts per day seems quite high to me. After reading the book, though, I'm subscribed! Sigh. I'm not a fan of the "bonus online chapters" concept, though I am sure that I'm going to go and read them sometime. Kind of detracts from the whole "book" experience if the whole book isn't... well, whole, I suppose.

A later post will detail some of the stuff I'm subscribed to online.

»

1 comment:

BlackTigerX said...

wow, you got all my books J